5.2 Explain the Principles for Safe Moving and Handling
Always use slow motions when moving or handling a person. If the person is injured, moving them with care will reduce pain or severity of risk factors. To prevent accidents or injuries to the patient, the caregivers should receive training in safe movement and handling techniques. In this learning outcome, we will explain principles for safe moving and handling, which will help you understand how to handle a patient.
If a person has mobility issues, they can require assistance with activities of daily living, such as showering and getting in and out of bed. Helping to lift or move a person can be a difficult task; as such, proper moving and handling guidelines should always be followed.
Explain the Principles for Safe Moving and Handling
You should check to make sure you have a firm grasp before lifting a patient. It would be best to keep the person’s weight as close to your body as possible while lifting or transferring them to prevent spinal strain. Maintaining a straight back, neck, and head while keeping your head up is also essential. Let’s explain the principles for moving and handling equipment and other objects safely and professionally.
We have created a list of 5 principles for safe moving and handling; follow these for a better understanding:
Plan: Plan the lift adequately.
Position: Center the body and feet correctly.
Pick: Lift the item using good posture.
Proceed: Move toward the desired location.
Place: Set the object down safely.
Why Is Safe Handling And Movement So Important?
To stay healthy and safe is the right of everyone. If you move or handle a person or an object, it is essential to have safe moving and handling knowledge principles. Let’s examine some of the main justifications for the significance of safe moving and handling principles.
People may require assistance with mobility for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, their requirement is temporary while healing from an illness or injury. While in others, it may last for the rest of their lives. Those who need assistance moving and handling equipment and other objects safely will gradually know how to do it without hurting or aggravating them.
- Comfort: Patients’ pain and discomfort are reduced when they are moved using the right methods or tools.
- Dignity: By using expert procedures and equipment, moving a person will be simple, quick, and efficient. This helps the patient feel at ease and dignified.
- Preventing damage: Avoiding the damage is important because many individuals who need assistance with mobility are already ill, injured, or otherwise weak. Failure to move and handle them safely could lead to:
- Skin damage
- Injuries to the shoulders or neck
- Bruises or cuts
- Delay their healing
It is equally crucial for the caretaker or healthcare worker to adhere to the rules and guidelines for moving and handling. Following safe moving and handling guidelines has several advantages for the caretaker.
- Respect the law: Healthcare professionals must respect the laws of lifting and handling. Manual handling laws may be violated if they are understood and followed.
- Preventing aches: Injuries can be complex and require repeated effort when moving and touching people. Caretakers risk developing permanent damage to their muscles or spine if they perform manual handling duties with the proper guidelines, tools, or skills. Ineffective manual handling practices can result in back injuries that restrict movement.
- Reduce work-related illness: Did you know that moving and handling accidents account for about 40% of work-related illnesses? Sick days may be expensive and inconvenient for the employer and the employee.
How Often Should Caretakers Receive Movement And Handling Training?
Moving and handling training is essential. All the new hires should receive extensive training. Caretakers have to ensure that the standards are consistently reached and are high-quality. There should be a refresher training regularly. All health and social care staff who move and handle patients should receive annual training.
The care staff should undergo extra training to ensure their knowledge and abilities are fresh. If any new manual handling equipment is needed or manual handling guidelines are revised.
Hire Professionals to Complete Your Diploma Program Successfully
We have a leading team for providing assistance in all diploma units and assessment criteria’s writing. We have top helpers who are able to provide assistance in college assignment help, university level, and in all diploma’s. You can trust on them and give them a chance to elaborate their skills.